Well, Larry Emdur branded it the BEST risotto he’s ever tasted… and if Larry said it, it must be true! Here’s exactly how to make James’ delicious dish.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 500g risotto rice
- 1lt stock (see instructions below)
- 200g butter
- 100g parmesan
- 50g or 100g truffle (depending on how generous you’re feeling!)
FOR THE STOCK / VEGETABLE NAGE
- To make the risotto, heat a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the oil and onion and season with salt & pepper. Sweat onion gently for about 4 minutes until soft and transparent.
- Add the rice and stir briefly until coated with oil. Pour in the hot stock, swirl it around gently and cover with a tight fitting lid. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 13 minutes. Remove the lid & stir well to release the gluten.
- The basic risotto can be prepared ahead of time to this stage. If you wish to finish the dish later, spread it out onto a shallow tray, cover & refrigerate for up to 2 days. Otherwise continue with your choice of ingredients.
- To finish, while rice is nice and hot, remove from the heat, mix in the butter and parmesan and emulsify gently. taste for seasoning, add a few drops of lemon juice, grate in truffle. mix and serve then generously shave all over with black truffle, serve straight away!
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 2 carrots finely sliced
- 1/2 leek finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery finely sliced
- cloves of garlic roughly crushed
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 4 white peppercorns
- 6 coriander seeds
- 3 star anise
- 3 pints water
- 4 sprigs tarragon
- 6 sprigs chervil
- 2 sprigs coriander
- Put the sliced vegetables into a large saucepan with the garlic, thyme & spices. Add the water & bring to the boil. Lower the heat & simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & season with salt to taste.
- Add the fresh herbs, close the pot tightly & seal with cling film. Leave to infuse for 2 hours then pass through a fine sieve.
Refrigerate & use within 24 hours.
Makes 1 litre